In computer software, a widget engine is a software service available to users for running and displaying applets on a graphical user interface, such as that of a mobile phone.
In mobile development, the term “widget” usually refers to a small web based application customized to extract specific information over the net for display. As these are small high level programs, they don’t take up a lot of capacity on wherever it is running from.
- How To Get Started With Widgets : A Widget Guide - Introduces what widgets are and types of widgets plus alot of links to other sites with related information.
- Web widget on Wikipedia - General idea of the widget from Wikipedia.
- Welcome to the Widget Wars - The idea and several definitions of what widgets are.
- Creating an Opera Widget – using the SDK - Understanding further what widgets are and how to create them, specifically Opera browser based.
- Creating the first Opera Widget (desktop) - Widget on the desktop(Opera browser based): for beginners, might be easier to start building widgets on the desktop first before moving onto mobile.
- Mobile widget development process advice - Opera widgets on the mobile.
- Getting Started with Nokia Web Widget Development - S60 specific Widget.
Widgets on Android
- Introducing home screen widgets and the AppWidget framework - Building widgets on Android platform.
Opera Product Info
- Opera Mobile Widgets - Opera Mini & Opera Mobile
- Opera Labs - New technologies and products from Opera
Articles and Blogs
- QuirksBlog - Blog of Peter-Paul Koch, mobile platform strategist, consultant, and trainer