Java Platform, Micro Edition, or Java ME, is a Java platform designed for mobile devices and embedded systems. Target devices range from industrial controls to mobile phones and set-top boxes.
- Beginners Guide To J2ME - A very basic guide to what J2ME(now JavaME) is and what it involves.
- Sun Developer Network - Java ME at a Glance - Details of what JavaME is from creators of Java.
- J2ME Beginner Tutorials - A range of links to JavaME beginner tutorials to choose from.
- J2ME - Brief introduction to JavaME followed by teaching what makes up a JavaME application using line by line code highlighting and explanation technique.
Creating the first JavaME midlet
- Java.net - J2ME Tutorial, Part 1: Creating MIDlets - 3 page tutorial from creation to deployment of midlet with and without Toolkit.
- Sun Developer’s Network - Wireless Development Tutorial Part I - Tutorial that takes you through setting up the development environment, writing and building an application and testing on an emulator.(Parts II below).
- Java ME Beginners Tutorial : Introduction - 6 part tutorial on creating a midlet using Sun Java Wireless Toolkit; from introduction all the way to packaging.
- NetBeans Mobility Pack For MIDP/CLDC 5.5 Quick Start Guide - Creating a midlet using NetBeans IDE 5.5.
- Hello World in J2ME :: From Development to Deployment - Steps through every process of developing a MIDP compatible MIDlet.
After the simple midlet
- Best Technology Tutorials In Town - From JavaME basics to application architecture considerations.
- Sun Developer’s Network - Wireless Development Tutorial Part II - How to configure and use a Servlet with a Midlet(from part I).
- J2ME Tutorial, Part 2: User Interfaces with MIDP 2.0 - Tutorial on understanding the importance of midlet user interfaces concepts and how to create and design them.
- Sun Developer’s Network - J2ME Tutorial, Part 3: Exploring the Game API of MIDP 2.0 - Exploring game library that can be used when creating midlet.
- Sun Developer’s Network - J2ME Tutorial, Part 4: Multimedia and MIDP 2.0 - 3 pages of tutorial on exploring multimedia capabilities on midlets.
- Java.net – Java ME Application and Content Developers’ wiki - Site with links covering everything related to JavaME development.
Discussion on JavaME (advance topics)
- A Brief Look at Java 2 Micro Edition - As the title suggests, a brief look at Java ME.
- Mobile and Embedded Community - A site that brings together Java Mobile and Embedded developers to collaborate and innovate, place where developers can go to exchange comments, code or applications.
- Optimizing Portability and Consistency for Application Developers Java ME: De-fragmentation - Design considerations in app development process to help optimize portability and consistency, reducing porting, testing and maintenance costs.
- Java Verified - A place to provide developers with a unified testing, signing and verification process for applications built using Java ME.
- Sun Partner Advantage Programme for independent software vendors (ISVs) - A collaborative program that offers independent software vendors quick access to the resources needed to build solutions based on Sun technologies.
Finding JavaME enabled devices
- Java ME technology Device Matrix - Reference : Allows search for technical specifications on mobile devices.
- Mobile Utopia - Reference : Allows search for technical specifications on mobile devices.
- Mobile Utopia - Reference : Provides system specific properties and configuration information.
- Le club des utilisateurs Java - Reference : MIDP device benchmark information.